View Full Version : MSMC'ers at Track Days - Post here!

Alex
July 31st, 2007, 10:49 PM
Hi all -

A number of us seem to be hitting the track (both figuratively and literally) over the past few years, so if you want to know who's going to which events on which days, this is the thread to post.

Here's a great trackday calendar of all events going on at the various California racetracks: click here... (http://www.dekatodesigns.net/moto/ca_trackdays.html)

If you're attending one of the events, just post a reply to this thread saying which one you'll be at, so others can join in on the fun. This thread will be culled of all posts that aren't along these lines; general discussions about trackdays can be either in the Roadside Cafe section or the Clubhouse section.

- Alex

bomarone
August 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM
Attending California superbike school at Infineon on October 22 followed by the two day camp November 13/14 using their bike --Robert Marotta

edfriedrichs
September 5th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I'll be at Infineon for a Reg Pridmore track day on Tuesday, October 16.

Ed

bswigg
November 2nd, 2007, 05:43 AM
Hi -- last 2 track days at Thill on 11/24&25 are on my schedule.
Work off some of the turkey and come on out.:smile:

Alex
November 2nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Ben!

I signed up for both Saturday and Sunday. Let's pray for no (or limited) rain... See you at the track! Kyle's looking forward to his first trackday...

Looks like there is still space in all 3 groups for both days, $175/person if you use the "barf" discount code:

http://zoomzoomtrackdays.com/ti/zoomzoom/index.html

Just reserved a room for the weekend at the Baymont in Willows; (used to be the Amerihost). They want $74/night with the trackday discount.

- Alex

Colin
November 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Sounds like a great weekend! Unfortunately, I can't join: I have plans in SF on Friday/Saturday and have no desire to get caught in Thanksgiving weekend traffic returning from T-Hill on Sunday.

Tear it up!

Scott McC
November 4th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Okay "I KNOW we're a Motorcycle Club" but this is a GREAT OPPORTUNITY!

On Sunday, November 18th at Thunderhill Raceway, "The Candy Store" has rented the track for the day for CARS Only. (Some of us DO OWN CARS, DON'T WE???) It's an awesome deal... like $350 - $400 including catered Breakfast and Lunch. (I also understand there might also be "Panoz" Spec Racers available for rental unless there is no interest and then the Panoz Guys won't show-up.)

Anticipate 2 1/2 -3 1/2 hours of track time Per Entry... FYI, THAT'S ALOT FOR ONE DAY... especially for the price!! :biggrin:

If interested contact me asap.

Cheers,

Scott McC

PS, I just spent this weekend instructing for BMWCCA at Sears Point so I WILL NOT :idunno: :wtf: :eek: be at Thunderhill on 11-18. If interested I can still coordinate for you.

Alex
November 6th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Scott -

Thanks for posting this. I've confirmed insurance coverage, so I'll be sending in my confirmation and $ tonight. I've wanted to get out on track in a car, and doing it on a track I already have some knowledge of will be a bonus. Sorry you can't be there, and I'll certainly post pics and updates afterwards. Folks - anyone else got a car they want to play with on the track?

- Alex

DADIN8R
November 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Alex, Ben

See you at Thunderhill on the 24th & 25th. Looking forward to meeting Kyle!

Don

Scott McC
November 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks Alex,

Trust me I'd like to attend, but we've got Cirque du Soleil tickets that day and with Sears Point BMW School last weekend, I've got to "recharge" my Hall Pass. :wink:

In the past I wouldn't have missed this event but priorities change. You'll soon understand... "Daddy!" :biggrin:

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

Scott McC

bswigg
November 12th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Don and Alex -- great to hear the news on ZoomZoom trackday attendance on 11/24&25 -- nice way to work off the turkey.

Wendy and Luke are attending. -- Luke really likes the bikes and its the only place he can ride with me (( parking lot - that is))

Don's taking his NRS (new racer school) I think -- yippee :eek:

Pray for good weather -- A bunch of others who are fun to ride with are attending - :smile:

The 954 is back from its "salvage" adventure -- but running as well as ever.

bomarone
November 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Just finished the camp at Sears point (level2,3) yesterday and had as much fun as you could have with your pants on. Keith informed me that since I was the only level 2,3 student he would be doing the seminars one on one-no complaint from me.
Seven riding sessions with highly competant riding coaches in addition to the camera bike, slide bike, lean bike and brake bike make for a challenging day. Lap times decreased nicely and technique improved greatly, very impressed with the curriculum and intensity and cannot wait for level four next month. Realized how much technique I need to master and how valuable track time is.
Both "Twist of the wrist one& two were useful
Cheers,
Robert Marotta

Alex
November 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM
ZZ just released their tentative 2008 schedule:

2008 Z˛ Track Days Schedule!

Feb 16-17 sat/sun T-hill
Feb 25 mon Infineon
Mar tbd
April tbd
May 7 wed Infineon
May 10-11 sat/sun RFR
June 13-14 fri/sat T-Hill
June 30 mon Infineon
July 12-13 sat/sun RFR
July 19-20 sat/sun T-Hill
Aug 23-24 sat/sun RFR
Sept 29 mon Infineon
Oct 11-12 sat/sun RFR
Nov 29-30 sat/sun T-Hill
Dec 6-7 sat/sun Infineon

Few notes:
* ALL dates are subject to change!!
* We expect to be adding a few more dates soon.
* We'll be posting the dates to the web site but you won't be able to reserve spots just yet. We're still working on entering data for 2008 into the system.
* No definite pricing information on Season Passes or Ticket Packs yet. Stay tuned!

IMHO it's pretty disappointing so far. There are 4 weekends at THill for the entire year. One is in February (rain likely), one is July 19/20 (MotoGP at Laguna anyone?), and one is Nov 29/30 (rain possible), making June 13/14 the only sure thing weekend all year. (EDIT: June 13/14 is the weekend of the Cal24). There are several dates up in Reno, and maybe I should get out there once or twice, but it really is quite a drive from the south bay for a full weekend, and even worse for a single day's event... And there isn't a single weekend date at Infineon until Dec 6/7 2008, which certainly has a reasonable chance of raining.

I can't be alone in wanting more weekend dates at THill, Infineon, and Buttonwillow, can I? I'll wait to see PTT's and Keigwin's schedule before I consider buying any block of tix.

BritishChris
December 14th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I've just signed up for the intermediate group for both of these days with ZoomZoom at Infineon.

A few riding buddies will be with me on each day. We'll have canopies, cold drinks and good eats...if anyone is thinking of going.

Chris.

DesmoDork
March 17th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Hey kids,

Signed up for Zoom Zoom May 7th at good ole Sears Point. I'll be trying to tame the monster!

My brother Jonathan will be there as well a colleague from Bell. We will be testing our new Bell Star helmets which has just launched. If I ever get off my duff I'll write a review for the web site/newsletter.

Cheers

Mark

Alex
March 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I just tried to sign up for that same May 7th date, but the Intermediate section was full. I signed up on the waitlist (and it looked like I was first on it, for what its worth). Hopefully a place will open up and the Ciurczak clan can join you folks there for the day.

Alex
March 19th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Good news; I made it off the waitlist and now have a confirmed reservation. See you all there!

BritishChris
March 19th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Good stuff Alex and Mark -

there should be a good size group of us. I'm there with at least 6 friends. We'll be bringing some shade and some gear, so feel free to 'pit' with us.

Chris.

bswigg
March 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Has anyone done a 3J's track day? One is coming up at Infineon on 3/31. Its showing at $225 and its tax deductible.

If the weather holds I'm considering it.

Paste in this link: http://www.3jstrackdays.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=8&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26#Scene_1

The SV finally is running again with Hyabusa pistons, larger exhaust ports and new cams. This and Race Tech improved forks make any more waiting difficult.
:smile:

PS -- see you at the Zoom Zoom days, too.

Colin
April 23rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Keigwin seems to have more T-Hill dates, and the least required bike-prep (just mirrors and brake light).

Anyone doing dates with them?

Alex
April 23rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
The bike requirements aren't terribly different among providers. The only real difference between ZoomZoom and Keigwins is that ZZ doesn't allow antifreeze, while Keigwins does. Looks like PTT allows antifreeze as well now, so perhaps ZZ will change their policy going forward. Not like it matters a whole lot anyway; there's not much reason to run anything but water wetter or Maxima in sportbikes here in CA anyway.

I have done Keigwins days before, but don't have any on the calendar right now. But if you sign up for one, I'll likely be able to sign up for it as well, just post up the details.

Alex
May 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I'd like to put a few more days on the calendar this year, so I just put together all Sat/Sun days available at the typical racetracks. Here's what I came up with:

Potential days:

5/31 - 6/1 Sat/sun Reno Keigwins
6/8 Sun Reno Sierra Sportbike
6/21 - 6/22 Sat/sun Reno Pacific Track Time
6/28 - 6/29 sat/sun THill Keigwins
7/5 - 7/6 sat/sun Buttonwillow The Track Club
7/26 - 7/27 Sat/sun Buttonwillow Pacific Track Time
8/2 - 8/3 Sat/Sun Buttonwillow TrackDaz
8/9 - 8/10 Sat/sun Reno Pacific Track Time
8/23 - 8/24 sat/sun Reno Z2
9/1 Monday (Labor Day) Thill Pacific Track Time
9/6 - 9/7 Sat/sun Buttonwillow LetsRide
9/20 - 9/21 Sat/sun Reno Keigwins
10/11 - 10/12 sat/sun THill Keigwins
10/11 - 10/12 sat/sun Reno Z2
11/1 - 11/2 sat/sun Buttonwillow The Track Club
11/9 Sun THill Keigwins
11/28 Fri Infineon Keigwins (day after thanksgiving)
11/29 - 11/30 sat/sun THill Z2
12/6 - 12/7 sat/sun Infineon Z2
12/6 - 12/7 sat/sun Buttonwillow The Track Club

None of these days interfere with MSMC rides. If folks see any days they'd like, post up here so other folks can sign up as well.

Alex
May 20th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I just signed up for the 10/11 - 10/12 weekend up at Thunderhill with Keigwins. Colin will be there Sunday as well.

Alex
July 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'll be doing Buttonwillow for the first time this weekend, I just signed up for Saturday, July 5th, with thetrackclub.com. Less than $150 with the SBR discount, and rooms in buttonwillow are dirt cheap as well. Plenty of space left in all groups if anyone wants to join us. Annie, Kyle, and Valentino will be tagging along as well...

Alex
July 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM
The Track Club (http://www.thetrackclub.com) has just opened 2 trackdays at Laguna Seca on the Tuesday/Wednesday right after MotoGP (Jul 22/23). $599 total for the 2 days, I think he wants $349 for a single day. I just signed up for the 2 days. We'll be down there thu-mon for MotoGP, I'll come back home Monday, and make a u-turn with the 10R instead of the RT. Hopefully Kyle will be able to make both days as well. Hope some other MSMC'ers can get out there for 1 or 2 days! I've never ridden Laguna, and I think it will be pretty neat to ride the exact same track only a day or two after our motogp heroes...

Alex
September 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Well, the last Laguna days didn't work out too well, as they were cancelled the day before. Sucked! And hurt my confidence in that particular trackday provider. But the good news is that there are other trackday providers out there, and one of them has just picked up two more days at Laguna, Monday, November 3rd, and Tuesday, November 11th. TrackCrafters (http://www.trackcrafters.com) is selling each day for $300, but there's a 2 for 1 special for $575, and if you can come with a friend, you'll be able to get that $575 rate (so $287.50 each).

I signed up for Monday, November 3rd, and Annie and I are planning to drive down to Monterey the night before. Hope other folks can join, I think a Laguna Seca trackday is going to be something I'll remember for quite some time, we don't often have these opportunities...

bswigg
September 18th, 2008, 06:07 AM
HI Alex -- thanks for the news about Laguna. I asked other track day guys. Hope to make it.

Tony
September 20th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Alex, keep me posted. My intent is to ride down Monday morning - observer only.

Colin
September 20th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm riding T-Hill with Keigwin's on Sunday, October 12th.

(I've changed dates a few times, this is where I landed)

Annie
October 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hello! Alex, Kyle, and I are at the track! Windy! and COLD!

Kyle is taking a nap, so I'm here in the main building on my laptop. There's a new canopy here at Thunderhill that is right across from the main building! So, we're set up under the new canopy. I think the new canopy is BETTER than the old one due to it's location (across from the bathrooms and food and shelter).

Anyway, I'll let Alex tell you about his day. He seems to be having a good time and we've seen a few familiar faces here today... Lisa Kaiser and Dave Moss are here. Lisa is riding and Dave is of course here with his suspension business (Catalyst Reaction).

No pics uploaded yet...

We're here again tomorrow with Colin. More to come...

DesmoDork
October 11th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Cool! Literally. It was a nice breezy day. Glad you guys are having fun. Since my thumb is still broken I can only get my kicks four wheel style. We went to the vintage races at Infineon today. The boys got to sit in John Bonham's old CanAm racer sponsored by Led Zeppelin!! 850 hp monster!! Awesome to hear and see. :eek:

Colin
October 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Great day! Clear, sunny, cool and windy, a contrast to the broiling days of mid-summer. We were moving our paddock chairs into the sun rather than out of it.

I hadn't done a trackday in years, and never on my naked KTM. The bike has plenty of power for the fast track, though the upright seating made headwinds and straights a chore, and the long suspension wasn't quite as stable as a true sport bike.

I must admit my morning sessions were marked by some anxiety. The Keigwin groups are faster than Zoom Zoom's, and they allow inside passing in all groups. The speeds are just so much higher than the street I found it difficult to adjust. A close pass exiting 13 and a clown running straight up the inside of 10 and nearly bowling over others (including me) didn't do much to instill confidence.

What did bolster my confidence was expert suspension tuning by Dave Moss. He's a genius, spinning screws and springs, bouncing the bike on both ends and reading the tire wear like tea lives to find just the right settings.

During my last session before lunch I was passed by a GS (!) in 1, and the session was eventually red- then black-flagged due to a crash.

During lunch, I suffered a "wardrobe malfunction" when the zipper on my leather broke. I was letting the top half hang down during the lunch break and I guess it put too much pressure on the pull. Maybe a salad rather than trip-tip for lunch would have been wise. :frown: In any case, Annie and a guy pitted next to us tried to fix it to no avail. I nearly had to pack up and go home early, but Alex graciously offered to let me use his leathers as we were riding different groups (thanks again!).

After lunch, Alex and I would do a circus act of changing in and out of his snug-fitting Helimot leathers, Annie tugging and pushing as needed to help the process along. I'd come in a couple laps early to ensure he didn't miss any track time.

Maybe it was the morning experience, or maybe Alex's leathers, but I was much more confident in the afternoon (though I was passed again in 1 by a GS...this time with a passenger!).

All in all a great day. Mandatory arty shot attached.

http://cv.smugmug.com/photos/393203293_jRxW2-M-1.jpg

edit: there is ONE pic of me as Alex's dopplegangerhttp://cv.smugmug.com/photos/393204641_Adrrn-M-1.jpg

Alex
October 13th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Post the last pic on your CD with you in my leathers! I saw it in Dito's trailer so I know it exists... :biggrin:

EDIT: looks like you found it! :thumbup:

Annie and I were chuckling in the main building; every time you went by I'd point and say "there I go!"

Alex
October 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Is it live or is it Memorex? :crazyboun

http://cv.smugmug.com/photos/393204641_Adrrn-M-1.jpg

http://aciurczak.smugmug.com/photos/164060335_mvt3U-M.jpg

Alex
October 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I particularly liked these two shots Dito took. 1st one is early Sunday morning. That guy (a-group) had a hi-speed off on Turn 1, ambulance ride and all. And the second pic is the same guy in an afternoon session.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/393298418_2cyPe-X3.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/393298413_herjW-X3.jpg

Here's some more good ones. Here's a shot of an old airhead BMW that was simply flying around the track:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/393316583_3ExXV-L.jpg

Here's that 2-up GS that Colin mentioned:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/393316581_V4rcc-L.jpg

Go Ninjette Go!

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/393316582_KhUJ7-L.jpg

Alex
October 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Lisa Kaiser was looking fast out there! Rumor has it Dave has had her 750 pumped up to 144 hp at the rear wheel, and in addition she's riding it well. How do I get that special attention from Dave? :smile:

http://aciurczak.smugmug.com/photos/393144960_ukatE-L.jpg

http://aciurczak.smugmug.com/photos/393401652_JQkDo-L.jpg

Colin
October 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
How do I get that special attention from Dave?

Don't ask, don't tell...

That airhead BMW was in the B- group and the rider was simply railing aboard that old iron. You can see how far he got off the bike to keep the heads from touching down. He was a young, unassuming skinny guy with long sideburns. I couldn't even keep him in sight.

It's bad enough that 2-up GS flew around me exiting Turn 1, but they had a topcase and both waved to the camera, too. Bastids!

glgofast
October 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Watching the two of you get in and out of a one piece would be worth the price of admission....was it like stuffing 10 lbs of s... into a 5 lb bag????

Colin
October 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Watching the two of you get in and out of a one piece would be worth the price of admission....was it like stuffing 10 lbs of s... into a 5 lb bag????

I'm big-boned. :biggrin:

I assume by "s..." you mean "sausage" ? :tongue:

In any case, I probably should adopt some aspects of the George Lula diet and fitness plan....

glgofast
October 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Ah yes, you've got the shape and color correct!

spikegomez
December 20th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Actually it is too cold now in ours....

Alex
December 20th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Actually it is too cold now in ours....

:suspiciou

bswigg
December 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
The attached chart has AFM races, Z2, Keigwins, PPT and MSMC rides on a consolidated calendar.

A few weekends are bare - but not many. Buy tires, do maintenance now, as not much time exists.

By they - tire changing device in my garage works great (manual with a mojo bar).-- If your in a pinch for new rubber, have a tire sent to me (SW MOTO sends them free and no tax) and then ride over to have it changed. Bring a beer.

see ya -- Ben :biggrin:

PS -- if you've seen a yellow CBR1000RR '08 flying buy - check to see if it's mine. My trailer and it was stolen 2 weeks ago -- bummer :mad: (OH - I'm not riding the full calendar - Z2, 10 Keigwins, MSMC and some AFM is my hope)

Alex
December 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Thx Ben, great spreadsheet! I hope to be out there with you at some of the ZZ and Keigwins days. I've added the AFM race schedule to our MSMC calendar here on the website. Very sorry to hear about your CBR/trailer! Where was it snagged from?

DesmoDork
April 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Well the thumb is healed enough so that I can handle a track day...at least I hope! Day rides are still too much, but 20 minute sessions are managable. all signed up and lookin forward to gettin out. My brother and Joseph Brook are also going, as well as a colleague from work.

Intermediate group btw

Vegas Beemer guy
April 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Anyone looked at the KTM track school at Laguna Seca. It is being lead by race champ Jeff Haney. :smile: Jeff is an awesome rider-instructor and worked with Freddie Spencers school in the past.

Should be a school worth doing, if you can afford the tarriff. It is priced similiar to Freddie's schools.You are riding perfectly prepared KTMsThis includes several different favorite models as well. :biggrin:
Are you signed up already, Collin? :rolleyes:

bomarone
May 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Hi Steve,
Yes you get to ride three different KTM's and the cost is around 2,300.00 for two days. I looked for reviews from the first school in late April and found none. I will sign-up shortly for a session in the future as that 1198 KTM seems like a blast.

Alex
August 1st, 2009, 01:38 PM
And I get to do trackdays again. So the first one is next Tuesday, August 4th, up at THill. It's an open format day for $200, meaning no groups at all. Go out whenever you want, come in whenever you want, just have fun. Capped at 50 riders total for the day, and right now they only have 38.

Annie, Kyle and I will be up in Willows Monday night and driving back Tuesday afternoon. Call in sick, and come have some fun at the track.

Signup details here (http://www.4theriders.com/trackday.php).

Rob
August 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Don Marino and I and 2 friends are signed up for Kegwin’s on 9/10/09 at Infineon.:biggrin:
Please join us if you can.
It has only been 25 years since my last track day with Kieth Code so be ready to give me a little extra room in the corners:eek:
Rob

bswigg
August 19th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Hi - LETS RIDE -- Would be happy to share one of my bikes if your interested in going to a day at the track. Day's upcoming:
9/10 --Wed -- ZoomZoom - T-Hill
9/13 -- Sat -- Keigwin-- THiLL
9/19&20 - Sat/Sun -- AFM race - Infineon (need the points!)
9/26 -- Sat -- ZoomZoom - T-Hill (new day - just added)
10/7 -- Wed -- ZoomZoom - T-Hill
10/10+11 -- Sat/Sun -- Zoom -- RenoFernley
11/8 -- Sat. -- Keigwin -- T-Hill

goals - at Infineon --sub 1.52.6 on the SV & sub 1:50.8 on CBR
at T-HIll - sub 2.04.2 on SV & sub 2.00.8 on CBR

The more the merrier! (we have the bikes and the clothes)

CBR and me just need more dance time!

scruffy
September 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Don Marino and I and 2 friends are signed up for Kegwin’s on 9/10/09 at Infineon.:biggrin:
Please join us if you can.
It has only been 25 years since my last track day with Kieth Code so be ready to give me a little extra room in the corners:eek:
Rob

Thinking about taking the 950 to this, good practice for the SMR.
Anyone still going to this?
Don

Alex
November 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Anyone going to be up at THill Thanksgiving weekend (28th/29th)? There are still spots available on Saturday and Sunday, and the weather forecast looks quite good at this point.

bswigg
November 22nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Hi -- I'm heading to t-hill for both sat. and sund.
Rented a tour america camper for the fun of it.
Should be a good party on Sat. night.

Colin
November 25th, 2009, 11:55 AM
awesome way to spend the weekend, have fun guys!

Alex
November 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Ben, I'm in for Saturday, coming up Friday night and staying in Willows. Not sure how late I can stay that evening, but we'll see. Weather looks to be damn good for late November! But it'll be chilly the first few sessions...

Alex
December 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Fun time at the track! Ben was able to run video on his bike, so here's a session with the two of us. The camera is mounted right behind his windscreen, and I come out on track about 10 minutes in.

Link to video (http://sharing.theflip.com/session/e4a2b8c6233331bd98c89690a102f2c1/video/7682854)

Rob
December 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Infineon was fun and wet last Friday.
Hit 100mph into turn 7 wet and 122mph during a few dry laps

Rob
December 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
Here are a few shots after a very long absence from the track

bswigg
July 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Don and I rode RFR the other week. Here's a merged Contour and xtPro GPS file to show how it looks -- enjoy:smile: utube address is below --

gJu7Okmbqy4

:biggrin:

Alex
July 3rd, 2012, 05:31 AM
Looks like fun! :thumbup: