MSMC Forums  

Go Back   MSMC Forums > Discussion > Roadside Cafe

Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Alex
gimpy...

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '13 R1200RT, '13 Ninja 300, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '13 TT-R50E

My rebound machine!

2013 R1200RT, loaded with virtually every option available other than the low seat / lowered suspension. Top box gets here on Tuesday. I have it wired up in a kludgy style for GPS & heated gear, which will get me through the duck club ride. But a longer-term plan for all necessary gadgets & farkles is being put in place quickly.

Gallery of all of my pics.

Specs on BMW's site.

Link to catalog

Hope to put a few miles on it tomorrow, and then break it in properly all next weekend.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:40 PM   #2
johnmcallahan
Beanie

Name: JC

Motorcycle(s): '07 BMW R1200GS Adventure, '05 BMW K1200S, '14 KTM 690 Enduro R

I like the color. Congrats.
johnmcallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Alex
gimpy...

Motorcycle(s): '13 R1200RT, '13 Ninja 300, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '13 TT-R50E

Thx, John! I like it as well. Not much choice this year, there's that blue, there's a dark grey, and there is a matte black / gold combination on the 90th Anniversary edition. Of the three, I think the blue is sharpest, and it was the one in stock anyway.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Paul Goodacre
Club Member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): BMW R1200GS, BMW R1150GS, Suzuki DR650, Yamaha WR250

Were you not enamored of the K1600, Alex? Didn't your number of cylinders just decrease by two thirds? Would be interested to hear why you went for the RT rather than another K1600. In any event, it looks great, and hopefully you'll cover many incident-free miles on it. You might want to check that the rider in a couple of the pictures has a valid license, by the way. Paul.
Paul Goodacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Alex
gimpy...

I liked many things about the K1600 (primarily the engine), but the integrated gadgets as well. But it's not as a good a long-distance / rally bike. It destroys tires, it sucks down fuel, it's not as comfortable to ride, and it's somewhat less fun on the "fun" roads. The RT is 150 pounds lighter, and has a wheelbase almost 8" shorter, which makes it feel much more agile, even if it can't accelerate quite as fast or as smoothly.
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #6
johnmcallahan
Beanie

When I was getting my custom seat built last year the builder had a pile of mailed in back orders stacked in the back of the factory. Most were K1600 seats being redone by Russell. They said that was a large book of their business at the time.
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Alex
gimpy...

I don't doubt it. I had a custom seat already on mine, but it doesn't completely fix the problem, for me at least. I was going to head back and have it reshaped a bit, but I think it's actually due to the bike's architecture. The tank itself is much longer, meaning the rider is smack up against it, with no space for a seat builder to add a rise or lift on the front to keep people from sliding forward. The GTL deals with this problem a bit by putting the bars quite a bit back, so you can sit slightly further back in the seat, but at the cost of steering feel. The space to build a seat is shorter front to back, and slightly narrower as well, further hampering the ability to build a comfortable seat no matter what the shape. There's a lot of text here, but if you look at direct side views of the K bike vs the R bike, the difference in seating position is evident. (click on pic for full size).

bmw-r1200rt-2013-18.jpg

2011 BMW K1600GT Sports Touring Motorcycle.jpg
Old March 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Paul Goodacre
Club Member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): BMW R1200GS, BMW R1150GS, Suzuki DR650, Yamaha WR250

I do remember when the K1600 came out some of the reviews raised just that issue. It seems that a comfortable seat is, or should be, something of a necessity on a motorcycle designed for high mileage, long hours in the saddle, days.
Paul Goodacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #9
johnmcallahan
Beanie

Unfortunately, one size does not fit all asses.

So that it looks good in magazines and on the showroom floor - it was designed for more of a Selma Hayek ass.

Many of us have more of an Ed "Too Tall" Jones ass - which doesn't look good in magazines, showrooms, in football pants or the like.
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Alex
gimpy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcallahan View Post
Many of us have more of an Ed "Too Tall" Jones ass
I am *not* going to even risk a Google image search on this.
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #11
johnmcallahan
Beanie

Just walk away.....
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Alex
gimpy...

I picked up the top box from SJBMW this afternoon, and I expect the tank bag to arrive later this afternoon via UPS. My luggage needs for this weekend have been taken care of! While at SJ, one of the lead techs showed me how to adjust my throttle freeplay, which was a little loose as delivered, and it feels much better at this point. In between conference calls, I was able to wire up a Gerbings harness directly to the battery, so I don't have to use a clunky splitter from the accessory port with wires hanging everywhere. Annie would be proud of me; I managed to not drop the tiny battery nuts into the bike without the assistance of her TTH's. The batteries on these new RT's have the terminals sideways, so the nut isn't captured; getting it on requires a little finesse.
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #13
geoirishbox
Club Member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2004 R1150RT

jealous

Well it is the holy month of St. Ps day, and the precelebrations started two weeks ago up at the Yosemite Bug. Alex, love you new RT. If I ever win the lotto, I might even buy a new one, so many new features than my 04. But the 04 still ruffles my . . . never mind I still like it

Everyone have a ball on the DC ride maybe someday I will be seen once again.

Stil the best club ever - fyi gave up on physical therapy too painful, back with a personal trainer for a few weeks and now can even walk up the driveway
geoirishbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Alex
gimpy...

I'm the worst mechanic ever. I'm adding a number of things prior to the ride, and some after the ride. One of those things is another set of mirrors, off of the handlebars in addition to the stock ones. With a tall/large tankbag, the stock mirrors aren't very usable. Not a problem with my normal smaller tankbags, but with the very large one I will need for the long ride, it might be a problem.

So I take off the holder for the clutch lever, and am able to replace it with the new part, and successfully install the left side mirror. I remove the holder for the brake side, and realize that the screws are slightly too large to fit through the replacement part. So I use oomph, and get the screws to go through the part. Next I try and hook it up to the bottom part that holds the brake lever, and realize that I'm using way too much force. At one point, I realize I was using a torx bit that was 1 size too small, so it slips and starts to strip the head of the bolt. I find the right size bit, and unfortunately it is still starting to strip with the force that is needed. I realize that I don't have any extra bolts in that size, and if I don't complete the job, my new bike has no brake lever. And no ride this weekend. So I give up, unbolt both of them, put back the original part, and tighten things back up. Everything holds tight, and I have a tight brake lever assembly.

But my bike now has 2 left mirrors and 1 right mirror. Will deal with it after the ride, when I have an extra few bolts in hand in case I do screw things up along the way.
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Alex
gimpy...

I'm the worst mechanic ever. I'm adding a number of things prior to the ride, and some after the ride. One of those things is another set of mirrors, off of the handlebars in addition to the stock ones. With a tall/large tankbag, the stock mirrors aren't very usable. Not a problem with my normal smaller tankbags, but with the very large one I will need for the long ride, it might be a problem.

So I take off the holder for the clutch lever, and am able to replace it with the new part, and successfully install the left side mirror. I remove the holder for the brake side, and realize that the screws are slightly too large to fit through the replacement part. So I use oomph, and get the screws to go through the part. Next I try and hook it up to the bottom part that holds the brake lever, and realize that I'm using way too much force. At one point, I realize I was using a torx bit that was 1 size too small, so it slips and starts to strip the head of the bolt. I find the right size bit, and unfortunately it is still starting to strip with the force that is needed. I realize that I don't have any extra bolts in that size, and if I don't complete the job, my new bike has no brake lever. And no ride this weekend. So I give up, unbolt both of them, put back the original part, and tighten things back up. Everything holds tight, and I have a tight brake lever assembly.

But my bike now has 2 left mirrors and 1 right mirror. Will deal with it after the ride, when I have an extra few bolts in hand in case I do screw things up along the way.