MSMC Forums  

Go Back   MSMC Forums > Discussion > Roadside Cafe

Old January 29th, 2018, 03:42 PM   #1
Alex
gimpy...

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '13 R1200RT, '13 Ninja 300, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Keeping Garmin GPS units up to date

I know that a good bunch of us are continuing to run Garmin GPS units. For the BMW flock, all of the Nav IV, V, etc. are all rebadged Garmin units. My primary GPSs remain a Zumo 550 purchased in 2006, and a BMW Navigator IV (clone of Garmin 660), purchased back in 2012. Over the years it has gotten more complicated to keep them up to date with the latest maps. My 550 has actually been dead for a year or two, but I was able to successfully revive it once more a few weeks ago, and I figured I'd share my methods in case it is frustrating anybody else. I now have both GPSs up to the very latest 2019.10 maps from Garmin, with a repeatable procedure to update each time. For the 550, I have an 8 GB SD card, and for the Nav IV, I have an 8 GB microSD card (each of them are < $10 at this point on Amazon). Both of the GPSs have lifetime map updates from Garmin tied to their serial numbers, so as long as they are working, I can continue to keep 'em functional.

Software necessary:

Garmin Express (for Mac or PC)

Garmin MapInstall for PC
Garmin MapInstall for Mac

Update for Nav IV 2019.10 (2018-01-25):
  • remove microSD card from gps
  • plug GPS into PC or Mac
  • push all maps to GPS via Garmin Express, choose a smaller area if necessary (it will tell you error if needed), choose advanced option to push to both device and pc
  • delete (only) GMAPPROM.IMG from Nav IV itself
  • Copy device memory contents to computer or NAS (only necessary if you want a backup)
  • unplug GPS
  • plug microSD card into SD adapter, plug that into pc or mac, format it blank
  • Use MapInstall to push all same maps directly to microSD card (select all by dragging a box around entire world)
  • Copy microSD card contents to computer or NAS (only necessary if you want a backup)
  • Remove microSD card from PC/Mac
  • reinstall microSD card into Nav IV and reboot the GPS

Update for Zumo 550 2019.10: (2018-01-25)
  • Remove SD card from GPS
  • plug GPS into PC or Mac
  • push maps straight to GPS via Garmin Express, also to PC/Mac to activate it even if already there - it can only fit Canada and Border States at this point
  • only delete GMAPPROM.IMG on GPS itself (can leave gmapprom.gma)
  • Copy device memory contents to computer or NAS (only necessary if you want a backup)
  • unplug GPS
  • plug card into PC/Mac, format it blank
  • Use MapInstall to push all maps directly to SD card (select all by dragging a box around entire world)
  • Copy SD card contents to computer or NAS (only necessary if you want a backup)
  • Remove SD card from PC/Mac
  • reinstall sd card into 550 and reboot the GPS
Old January 31st, 2018, 12:55 AM   #2
Alex
gimpy...

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '13 R1200RT, '13 Ninja 300, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Holy crap! Was able to get my Garmin GPS60Cx updated to the latest 2019.10 maps as well tonight. If the basemap date can be believed on this gadget, I purchased it in 2001 or so; I can't believe it's still functional.
Old February 12th, 2018, 03:07 PM   #3
Colin
President

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '14 R1200GS, '10 Ducati Multistrada, '95 Ducati 900SS-SP, '58 Ducati Elite 200

thanks Alex, I'm dreading doing this on my collection of hardware.

The GPS60 series remains on of my favorites, despite the small screen. Good to know it can be updated if needed!
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote