MSMC Forums  

Go Back   MSMC Forums > Discussion > Moto News

Old February 8th, 2018, 04:43 PM   #1
MSMC NewsBot
All the news that's fit to excerpt...

Name: News

Motorcycle(s): virtual

[motorcycle.com] - HJC CL-Y Youth Helmet Review

The market for motorcycle helmets is saturated with choices, but there are surprisingly few options for street (not off-road) helmets that fit the smaller head sizes of children. So, when I was trying to outfit my daughter with decent motorcycle gear so I could take her on street rides with me, I found few options.

It turns out HJC is one of just a handful of companies that produces DOT-approved street lids for youth riders, the CL-Y, stretching down below the 53-centimeter size typical for XS adult sizing. HJCís sizing chart is listed below. HJC tells us it rarely produces the XXS size and that same-circumference numbers of the XS and Youth Large are differentiated by different shell sizes.

SizeXSXXSYouth LargeYouth MediumYouth SmallCentimeter54-5352-5154-5352-5150-49The CL-Y is available in several color and graphics version, with solid colors retailing for just $89.99. A Matte Black version ups the price by $5, while stylish graphics models have an MSRP of $99.99.

Sheís not quite ready for the front seat, but sheís happy, safe and comfortable on a motorcycle until she is.

After checking out HJCís website for color and size options for the CL-Y, we selected a Youth Medium in its Striker graphics option, a version that isnít offered in HJCís 2018 lineup. When we opened up the box, we were impressed with the helmetís bold styling and attractive finish. Sure, itís not as swanky as top-line lids, but it looks very nice for a $100 item manufactured in Vietnam.

The CL-Y uses a polycarbonate shell that shaves cost when compared to fiberglass or carbon, but its diminutive shell size keeps it lighter than expected. Its Nylex interior feels fairly plush against skin and is removable and washable. ďIt was very cushiony around my skull,Ē she commented. The faceshield uses a simple ratcheting system that can be placed in eight open positions. The chinstrap includes a snap for securing it from flapping in the breeze, but it lacks a pull tab typical of modern helmets that loosens the strap for easier removal.

Reviewing the CL-Y isnít simple, as its fit and comfort are gauged by a kid who never had a helmet before, so there isnít much context for a proper evaluation. That said, my girl reports a generous eye-port area that doesnít restrict peripheral vision and no comfort issues even after hours of continual use. Ventilation seems to be adequate if not generous.

Adding a Sena Bluetooth communicator presented no problems during installation. The CL-Yís recessed ear areas and flap covers allows space for speakers without bothering ears.

Taking your offspring along for motorcycle rides brings joy to both child and parent.

Overall, we were pleased to have the CL-Y be the entry point for my girlís forays into motorcycle riding. She was always proud to strap it on her head, even if she now claims to be shifting her tastes away from pink, and not once did she complain about any comfort concerns while wearing it. Itís held up quite well after nearly two years of use, with a faceshield scuff being the only cosmetic blemish thus far.

And while weíre discussing riding with children, allow me to fully endorse use of the Grip-n-Ride belt (tested here), which provides two sets of handles for passengers to hold themselves securely in place. How securely? Wheelies securely! Made in the USA, the beltís pricing starts at $89, which is reasonable for an indispensable piece of riding kit. We simply donít ride without it.

The smaller shell size of the CL-Y is evident in this shot next to a XS Bell Star.

HJC CL-Y Youth Helmet Review appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...