Go Back   MSMC Forums > MSMC Information > Past Ride Reports

Old February 18th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #1
Logan101
Board Member

Name: Randall

Motorcycle(s): R1200GSW, F800GS, Beta525, WR250F, DR650SE, RM85L, XR100, YSR50

MSMC Bikes on Dikes - February 2015

Dear Fellow Members (and Guests)

This weekend you are in for treat--yes, I said a treat. We are about to embark on an adventure of a lifetime. The plan is to hit open road and enjoy each others company. Where you ask--the delta of course.

If you have been on the levy about signing up--just shift gears because the weather will be perfect and the glistening water reflecting the warm (not hot) sun will mesmerize you into thinking you are in Europe or Asia on vacation.

We will meet at Miller's Cafe 2733 Hillcrest Ave, Antioch at 8:30am for breakfast or 9:30am clutches out. We will have lunch along life's pathway and have you home around 4pm. Can't ask for more than that!

See you all on Sat!

Randy (almost can reach the ground so no stopping)
Logan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Alex
gimpy...

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '13 R1200RT, '13 Ninja 300, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Hi all - you can pay the $15 for lunch at the payment center.
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #3
Alex
gimpy...

Motorcycle(s): '13 R1200RT, '13 Ninja 300, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Looks to be decent weather for tomorrow; starting out in the low 50's by ride start, and up to low 60's by lunch. No chance of rain.

Route for the morning is attached, and it's not uncomplicated. :) If you do get split up, there is a waypoint for Al the Wop's where we are having lunch. Make sure to turn your GPS routing to allow ferries, as we're taking one (twice).

(moved to Map Room)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikes on dykes.jpg (136.7 KB, 3 views)
Old February 21st, 2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Alex
gimpy...

That was fun! Thanks to Randy for putting much of it together, and thanks to Paul for optimizing and leading the route. I only took a handful of pics (link to gallery), so hopefully those with the good group photos can add theirs here.

Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:14 AM   #5
Paul Goodacre
Club Member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): BMW R1200GS, BMW R1150GS, Suzuki DR650, Triumph Tiger 800XC

Delta Skelter.... 8 of us showed up to ride the Delta yesterday, Tony and Lydia, Lisa, Craig, Rick, Randy, Alex C and me. 7 BMWs: 5 R1200GSs, a K1000R, and an R1200RT. Thanks to Bill for recommending Millers Cafe in Antioch, which turned out to be an excellent rendezvous point just before the bridge. (And hoping your ride in Patagonia is going well!)

We did several dikes, islands, and bridges before lunch, and if it felt occasionally as if we were riding around in circles, it's probably because we were. We embarked for the ferry crossing to Ryer's island and circumnavigated in a clockwise direction before exiting over the bridge to the north. I found 7 or 8 miles of gravel by turning right over the bridge, the others chose the paved left turn, and we re-united in Locke.

A nice thing about a fairly small group is that staying together is a lot easier, and throughout the ride we were able to do this.... the absence of traffic on most of the roads made for unimpeded riding also. Al the Wops is a Locke (and Delta) institution, a registered historic landmark, and home to what used to be a guaranteed bad food experience. It seems as if they've ramped up the quality substantially since last time I was there, it's not Chez Panisse, but it seemed perfectly edible and had a welcoming atmosphere.

After lunch there was a diaspora, Alex C and I opting to do the bonus loop. This involved the ferry back onto Ryer Island, the other ferry over to Rio Vista, and then about 20 miles of really lovely riding through the Montezuma Hills and Birds Landing before running out of road in Collinsville. It was quite idyllic, the hills blindingly green after the rains, sheep happily doing sheep things in the fields, the occasional Victorian era homestead, and in Bird's Landing an establishment that looked very much like a regular small house but boasted a sign reading "tavern". We didn't have time to stop, but one of these days a return visit seems in order.

Collinsville, the end of the line.... two points of interest. At one time, before the bridges were built, one of the train lines between SF and Sacramento used to come through here. At the river's edge it was separated, loaded onto barges, floated across the river, and then reassembled on the other side before continuing its journey. Probably not the best option if you were trying to catch a flight out of SFO. In 2014 close to half the houses in Colinsville burnt down because of people setting off fireworks in a field of dry grass... since many of the houses were unpermitted, there are considerable problems with them being rebuilt. There's absolutely no reason to go there as far as I could tell. Although the road in and out was pretty nice. and I did catch a glimpse of an old cemetery on a small hill just out of town as we left which might be worth a visit.

Back in Bird's Landing Alex headed west to pick up the freeway and head south, I retraced my steps back into Rio Vista, gassed up, crossed the bridge and headed for home. All in all a lovely day out, highly co-operative weather, not even a glimpse of law enforcement, good company and back home in time to take the dogs out... thanks to evryone who came, it wouldn't have been the same without you. Paul.
Paul Goodacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Colin
Past President

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '14 R1200GS, '10 Ducati Multistrada, '95 Ducati 900SS-SP, '58 Ducati Elite 200

sorry i missed it (I attended the outdoor hockey game at Levi's stadium), I've always wanted to ride in the delta and take the ferries across the river. missed my chance (again) but may poach the route file for a solo trip!
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:15 PM   #7
Paul Goodacre
Club Member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): BMW R1200GS, BMW R1150GS, Suzuki DR650, Triumph Tiger 800XC

Well, if you do make it, it would seem appropriate for you to make the detour into Collinsville. (LOL)
Paul Goodacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Colin
Past President

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '14 R1200GS, '10 Ducati Multistrada, '95 Ducati 900SS-SP, '58 Ducati Elite 200

I was biting my tongue when I read that there there was "absolutely no reason to go there."
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #9
Alex
gimpy...

Lisa took a bunch of fun pics as well. I have added them into the same gallery.